Monday, September 15, 2008

Shopping Trip









The title for my photo essay is Shopping Trip.









With the first photo selected the background and blurred it and used the artist tool and cubed it also. It would seem she doesn't like the way it looks in here.






This one didn't turn out like I wanted . . . I wanted to make the book glow and the background be dark but I couldn't find the tools on GIMP. I felt like I was going around in circles.




I cropped the side of this one to make it more visually interesting. And gave it a newspaper filter. HEADLINES READ "GIRL LOST IN STORE!!!"



The last picture I selected the background and downed the brightness and some of the contrast. This gives the foreground more attention. I think she's found what she was looking for.

I feel like the program restricted what I wanted to do with the photos and my lack of knowledge with computer programs didn't help much either.

9 comments:

donnamaenot said...

Neat work with the filters. The first photo looks really neat to me. I like how the background is manipulated.

BlogBloke12 said...

i love the composition of the top and bottom photos. the look on your friends face is pretty good and dynamic too.

Molly said...

I like the newspaper one. It is like one of those coupon inserts but she instead of happy shoppers she's all angry which is cool!

Adele said...

The back ground change made a different to the picture so it looked a lot different.

amyARTE250 said...

i like the cubism effect. the original to the manipulated photos is nice to see. GIMP has limits, i could not download to my computer and glad i couldn't because i probably would have felt frustrated and stomped around my apartment screaming. now we have lab hours! with what you had to work with you did a nice job with cropping and background manipulation.

Kyunga said...

The images are all really nice, especially the topmost one. I like the effects you put into the background. In your bottom-most image, I feel that the background is actually a bit distracting now that you've drawn me to the fact that it's not just a gray blur. You might want to play with actually making the woman's face more indistinct.

Marshall said...

So it's evident that you are getting the idea of selecting a certain area, evidenced by your blocking out of some of the background elements where she "has found what she is looking for". That's a good thing-- now when you have areas like that selected, nose around through filters and effects. It's a lot less frustrating, I find, to do this in Photoshop. I would say though, don't necessarily make design decisions that you wouldn't make if you did this stuff by hand. There's a LOT of effects that you can apply, and I see it make for a lot of silly decisions in design. NOT in your case; I'm just mentioning that because I think these programs should act as facilitators, not mentors.

rohr said...

I like how you only made the book yellow.

pEzer said...

Very creative idea behind your series of pictures. Very good composition with your first photo. I think you can continue to push the compositions of the others as well to make the pictures stronger.